Sunday 4 January 2009

Bruce Willis Caricature - Week 5, painting techniques


For my Bruce Willis caricature I wanted to work from photo reference which portrayed him as the action man we've come to know him as. So what better than a screen shot straight from Die Hard 4. I loved the lighting in this scene and enjoyed painting it. My process for this, the first full colour caricature in the course, was to do a detailed black and white value painting. I spent the majority of the overall time working on this stage. Next I painted a layer in colorize mode blocking in with my split compilation palette before returning to normal mode and detailing the piece in a direct painting style. After a bit of horizontal flipping and a few structural changes I was now happy he no longer looked like a distorted potato and pleased with the finished result.

3 comments:

Raven Herrera said...

haha, despite the slight potatoe resemblence, this pic is hilarious!
Really great work, what a face!

Anonymous said...

Great job! Bruce has a great face for exaggeration :) I did a caricature of him awhile ago and it looks similar; great minds think alike! :) I have it posted on my blog. Keep up the good work!!!

ian said...

Wow! That is just fantastic. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm leaning towards taking Jason's class but the money is hard to come by. . .

I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it and the results speak for themselves but $$$.

Again though, this is stellar work. wow.